4.13.2008

After and absolutely horrific week, the newlyweds decided to go on a mini holiday (not quite as exciting as the one Bridget Jones took, there was no convertable or anything) and get away from college town. The fact that it was also parents weekend, aided in our decision to get the heck out! So we spontaniously decided to hit the big city to soak up some culture. We hit a natural science museum, and saw an exibit on da Vincis inventions and then we toured the stuff they have all the time. Its a pretty cool set up! They have all sorts of hands on science exhibits that I wish I had seen in school! They had a wall sized periodic table and each element had a cubby containing some of the element and some had examples of things made out of that element. No, they didn't have any of the radioactive elements. Then we decided to get some lunch, ended up walking about 3 miles to get to some food (you'd think a big city with a college near by would have more restaurants, you can't spit here without hitting a restaruant!) and then proceeded 3 miles (i may be exaggerating...but not by much) back to tour the holocaust museum. I don't think there are many periods in history that humbles the human spirit as much as the horrific happenings during the holocaust. I thought I was having a terrible week, but I have so much to be thankful for, and should really not take that for granted. Its amazing how one man was able to convince so many people so quickly, that there were people who were so far lesser in value than they, that they deserved to be treated in such an inhumane way. I just can't see how people could rationalize that behavior as justified! Those two places (though within 4 blocks of eachother, the lunch escapade took a lot of time) filled the day, so then we went to a hotel, and the next morning went to see the Manil by Renzo Piano. Not as exciting as I thought. They didn't open for an hour (which we knew ahead of time, but thought they're may be stuff near by to pass the time, but once we got there, it just didn't seem all that interesting) so we walked around the perimeter of the building and then headed home. All and all it was a really cool weekend, and it was so nice to get away for a little while!

No comments: