6.27.2011

MSM

I think the impending arrival of our little one has made me start thinking about traditions I'd like to pass on to my kids.  Of course there are traditions that I'd like to keep going, but I've been thinking more of new ones to start.  One such idea I'd read about was the birthday plate.  Whoever is celebrating their birthday, gets to eat off of a special plate, while everyone else has to eat off of the boring everyday plates.  We didn't do this in my family, but when I read about it, it sounded like something that I would have loved as a kid!  Fortunately for me, there is a paint your own pottery place not far from where I live, so I could even make my own!!  I went with a friend of mine and we spent hours painting our pottery.  (She was painting a cute little duck)  After we finished be brought up our pieces to the front desk to pay and leave them to be glazed and fired.  Well, unfortunately the furnace broke and never shut down like it was supposed to, so my plate ended up looking a little fuzzy.  That is not my poor photo taking skills, that is what the plate looks like.  It's not the biggest disaster ever, but I was a little sad. 
The people who own the business are super nice though and demanded that I come back to re-paint, because the finished product wasn't acceptable.  So, I took them up on their offer and re-painted my plate, with a few changes.  Now, the plate is ready for the first birthday to be celebrated at home...which is probably mine since Brandon will miss his here, and Evelyn's birthday will be at the hospital, and she can't use a plate anyway.

The store also has little cupcake shaped plates...so I've since been back to paint a couple of those to match my birthday plate, so we'll all have special plates, but not as much so as the 'birthday plate'  I'll share those when they're finished.

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

I've wanted to do that but haven't gotten around to it :-) The next birthday was have is Craig's in October - maybe I can get it done by then.