11.10.2008

ode to MacKenzie (and Craig) via cake

I'm not sure how much Craig had to do with the choosing of the flowers in his wedding ceremony, so I'll just dedicate this cake to the both of them. If Craig didn't do anything....never mind I take it back and its all MacKenzie! :) Anyhow, we just made our first cake from the fondant and gum paste course. Of course, I forgot to make my gum paste before class (its only in the title of the course, its not like its important right?) so I just thought 'ok, well I've got a coupon, I'll just have to buy some ready made.' Wrong! Michael's apparently keeps getting stuff stolen from the cake section. Now, I love cake decor, but stealing stuff from them? Really? And on a regular basis? Since they seem to be having a lot of trouble with theivery, they won't restock, so they don't continue losing money. So, I had to sit through class gum pasteless, until some kind people in my class allowed me to bum some off of them. Cake people are nice. Anyhow, for those who don't know 'Craig and MacKenzie' they are good friends of mine from college, and for their wedding ceremony, MacKenzie carried a lovely bouquet of little calalillies (sp?), and each of the bridesmaids had one large one. (All of which she made on her own I might add!) Very modern and lovely! So, we learned how to make the flowers in class, and it made me think of their wedding, so I decorated this weeks cake in their honor. I'm hoping to learn tulips next week, I know we're learning carnations, but I'm not such a fan of those. Apparently you can make bluebonnets out of royal icing, so I'm on the prowl to find those and make a Texas cake! (The pics were taken in different rooms under different lights, sorry for the lack of congruency, but the base is covered in fondant as well as the cake, and the flowers are a gumpaste/fondant mixture.)

3 comments:

MacKenzie said...

Ahh, I love it.

And I'm excited about the tulips, they are tied with calalillies (I don't know how to spell it either and firefox wants to change it to calamities, lol)

Also, I agree with you about carnations. I had a friend who said if she ever got picked up for a date and the guy had carnations, she knew he was cheap. And since she wasn't into cheap guys she would pick out the most expensive meal at the restaurant and she wouldn't have to worry about letting him down easy, she knew he wouldn't call her again. She was an interesting person.

Craig said...

I played a major role in choosing the callow lilies.

Anonymous said...

stinkin's gorgeous - as usual! :)