2.11.2009
Coraline
Last Sunday, Brandon and I went to the theater to see the animated flick, Coraline. Basically, if it's animated chances are pretty good that I'll want to see it. It's the second movie I've seen in 3-D (the first being Bolt, see again with the animation) and they're just so incredible to see. Unfortunately, they're more expensive than normal movies, which are pricey enough, but if you don't see movies often, worth the extra money. We asked once if we had glasses, would we have to pay the full price, and they said it was for the equipment they use to show the movie, not the facewear. (Which doesn't make sense either, because you could see 3-D commercials for the Superbowl, and I didn't pay any extra) Anyhow, back to the movie. I think the PG rating should have been bumped up to PG-13 in my opinion. It has very scary moments, and some almost nudity of a woman's very robust mammary glands. It's described as a fairytale nightmare, and it really seems like something out of a child's nightmares (which is why it's kind of scary!) The story though, is excellent and very entertaining! The 3-D animation was magical, and aides in sweeping you into Coraline's world. They don't use the technology in a kitchy way, but to envelop you to feel as if you've become part of the story. After the credits, they show you a little snippet of how they filmed the claymation (or whatever technique the used) in three dimensions, so if you go, stay through the credits. You can definitely tell that the same person worked on Nightmare Before Christmas and this flick, however I think this story itself is a tad bit darker. (Which I wasn't sure was possible since Tim Burton didn't work on it.) All in all, I found it delightfully creepy, (not in a "I like all things dark and depressing" sort of way, but in that they set out to make it creepy, and succeeded) charming, and a wonderfully entertaining movie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My friend at work liked it too. It looks WAY too weird for me, though. We'll probably see it in 2D at home.
Post a Comment