6.30.2009

Florida education?

So, since moving here I've discovered that education is not viewed the same way everywhere. Ok, I already had a sense of that truth, but here are a few examples

1. I was checking out at Target, and I just happened to be wearing an A&M shirt (mostly because that's the only type of tshirt I have) The lady checking me out apparently is also from Texas and struck up a conversation with me, asking about my major and wondering what brought me here. I explained our situation, and she just came out of no-where and said "So you gave up your education for some boy!?" To which I replied "Uh...no, I finished." What on earth made her just assume that I gave up my education?

2. I submitted a portfolio of my cake designs to Publix, in order to make my resume stand out. To me, it was a great idea, because it obviously worked, however to some people apperently that means I think I'm some prima donna cake decorator that demands special treatment. Though my co-workers are all very nice, they seemed to kind of tip-toe around me the first couple of days, which was just weird.

3. I was told it must be frustrating having to do all of these tedious tasks when I have a college education. To which I explained that I actually wanted to be working there. Believe me, I've done many tedious tasks in my day, and having a diploma doesn't save you from doing such things.

4. Upon finding out that my husband is a military officer I've gotten the following replies
  • what are you working for then? You should be rolling in money!
  • ooh once he gets his wings, you won't have to work anymore
Let me just explain something Floridians, some people like to work, I didn't spend 4.5 years in school to be a house wife. Once we start a family, I'll be more than happy to stay home for a couple of years, but until then I want to work. why is that so weird?

1 comment:

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Ha! I was just having this conversation with my parents! I was discussing a friend of ours whose kids are grown and out of the house, but because her husband makes a lot of money, she doesn't work. I said I wouldn't really like that... I'd at least volunteer or something. Maybe work part time.

So what if you had quit school for "some boy" aka your HUSBAND. Wouldn't have she felt awkward at that point? People say the dumbest things.