We're here and have furniture! However, getting that furniture was quite the fiasco. Let's back up a little shall we? To last Thursday when all of our things were swept away. (insert flashback music and hazy fog here, you know, if you want.) The mover's were not thrilled with the "quality" nor quantity of our belongings. I'm not going to lie, we have some nice furniture due to the generosity of our parents/grandparents who were getting rid of their old things. Nothing matches, but everything goes pretty well. Our willingness to mooch has paid off very well in our favor. Anyhow, we do have some pieces from our childhood/college days that are particle board and not the greatest of quality. Mostly bookcases and such storage things. Yes, we could get rid of them, but then we lose storage. The movers openly hated these things because they can't stack stuff on them, and so it takes up more space in their truck. However, they didn't like our washer/dryer, our tv, or our mattress because they were too heavy and were of better quality, so if they ruin them they'll be out a chunk of change. Whine whine whine. If you don't like hauling people's stuff, don't be a mover. It's a little tip from me to you. You're welcome. Point of our flashback is though, that they movers whined about everything. Why'd we live upstairs? Why do we have junk furniture? Why is it so hot, can't we turn on the ac while we keep your door open? I tried to stay pleasent and told them that we were at least downstairs now, so it'll get easier...I was wrong, but I tried. (we do live on the first floor....I did know that)
So, now were returning back to yesterday (the hazy fog can lift now) The movers arrived around 8:30 in the morning to discover that they couldn't pull the 18 wheeler into the gate. (we had been told they could, we did ask the office about that) So, they were already mad at me about that because apparently I'm supposed to know the capabilites of an 18 wheeler. Unfortunately, the office didn't open for another hour and a half, so we had to keep the exit gate open somehow. It is not motion sensored, but weights sensored as I discovered while waving around like a loon trying to open the gate. I'm not the most fit person on the planet, but I don't weigh a ton, so I couldn't open the door alone. Oh, did I mention Brandon was at work? No? Well, he was. However, his mom was gracious enough to offer to help and we were smart enough to accept. She sat in her car blocking the gate sensor for an hour and a half in order to keep that gate opened! If she wasn't there, I don't know what I would have done! So, they had to walk our stuff a good 100 feet (at least) to move everything in. I think it got up to almost 99 degrees, and it was hot and gross. I know it was hard work, but all I heard the whole day was; Why couldn't we live closer? Why do we have so much junk? Where are we going to put all of this junk? Why is the water so nasty? Nothing's going to fit in here! Why do I have to fix the leg I broke off of your dryer that I conveniently didn't notice that I broke? Oy! But all of our stuff is here and fairly unharmed! The dog is still slightly confused, but we're adjusting :)
3 comments:
Sounds like kids.
I would have made them rearrange everything after they carried it in, just to spite them. Sounds annoying. Be sure to give them bad online reviews.
I was going to say the same as Craig - definitely put in a complaint to their boss. I had two movers move everything I own from a second story apartment to a third story apartment when I came to Houston, and not only did they not complain, they treated my old hand-me-down stuff just as delicately as they would have treated something brand new.
Lol - and now that you have all your stuff back, they can't retaliate against you =)
Post a Comment