11.01.2009

"Healthified" Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Recipe from Betty Crocker

I came across this recipe during my weekly "oh my goodness what will I make for dinner this week!" panics. It sounds a little complicated, (and it is more so than just throwing chicken into the oven,) however it's actually very easy and incredibly delicious! It looks quite impressive too, if you're having guests they'll think "well look at her stuffing chicken like she's wolf gang puk" (I don't know if your friends will actually think that...but they might) Anyhow, here it is, straight from my favorite recipe website (www.bettycrocker.com)

"Healthified" Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Recipe from Betty Crocker: "
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 oz each) (i used one package, I think it had 5 breasts, and that's fine)
1 box (10 oz) cut spinach, thawed, well drained (or course if you have fresh, you fancy minx, you can cook that up too)
2 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup fat-free egg product (or you can just use egg whites if you don't have this on hand, I actually didn't even use this, the crumbs stick to the chicken just fine with out it)
12 stone-ground wheat crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup) (or just any ol breadcrumbs, I have ranch flavored and it added a zip)
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup pasta sauce
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (1 oz) (I didn't have mozz. so I just used more parm)

1.Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Between pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper, place each chicken breast smooth side down; gently pound with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick.
2.In medium bowl, mix spinach, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon basil and the garlic until blended. Spread about 1 tablespoon spinach mixture over each chicken breast; roll up tightly. If necessary, secure with toothpicks.
3.In small shallow bowl, place egg product. In another small shallow bowl, mix cracker crumbs, 1 teaspoon basil and the pepper. Dip each chicken breast into egg product; coat with crumb mixture. Place seam side down in baking dish.
4.Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Pour pasta sauce over chicken; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until thermometer inserted in center of chicken reads 165°F. Remove toothpicks from chicken before eating."

No comments: