11.17.2009

vocab fun

Are we just getting lazy or is the dictionary just growing too rapidly. Seriously, there are words in that book that we never use, and probably won't ever use, which is sad because someone spent the time coming up with a word and submitting it to the dictionary folks in hopes of reducing our need to over explain something. (Some words are just ridiculous pop culture references though, that probably shouldn't be encouraged by Webster.) Out of curiosity of what some of the words were, I've compiled an oh so fun list of rarely used words, some of which we've heard before, but can never remember. *speaking of which click here to go to a website that will help you remember words that are right on the tip of your tongue, but you just can't quite grasp.

doppelganger-the double of another living person or a person that looks remarkably like another person
aglet- the plastic end of a shoelace (of course...how often do we talk about these unless they break off)
earworm-a term for a portion of a song or musical material that repeats compulsively in ones mind.
ellipsis-a pause in speech or an unfinished thought...
interrobang-!? the combo of an exclamation point with a question mark insinuating a rhetorical question
dumbledor-bumblebee (who knew!?)

Don't you feel smarter? No? Well...(ellipsis) I did what I could.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! I have actually used doppleganger a few times. Trey has one floating around our tiny town. It's very strange. Though this man is slightly taller than Trey, their profiles are nearly identical! :) But honestly had no idea what one was until I watched CSI a few seasons back and they talked about it. haha!

Anonymous said...

I never knew there was a word for that! Hee hee - great post =D

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Were you just hanging out in the dictionary?

Amanda said...

only when I can't find the yellow pages ;)

Anonymous said...

I got to use the word "earworm" today!