It seems like Americans today will take anything but responsibility! Hotels have to screw down anything over 3 lbs* or people will take it, but expell a brat from pre-school, and its discrimiation against "active" children. Ok, I believe that ADHD is real and there are some children who suffer from it, however I'd be willing to bet that a majority of children are just under diciplined and, instead of taking responsibility for their kids just being obnoxious, their parents find a quick fix and drug them up to fix their problem. Then complain when their child is on the drugs for being withdrawn. Um yeah because their on medication they don't need. They need a good swift slap to the behind every now and again, or if that's not your thing (which it apparently isn't, drugs are) tell your child "no" every once in a while. Not only is it irresponsible on behalf of the parents, it hinders the children who actually have the condition. Since 80%*of the kids are treated for ADHD, the ones who actually have it aren't getting the medical attention they need. *I'm pulling stats out of thin air, I'm not an expert, just opinionated.
Ok, so what am I on my high horse about? There is an article about the rising number of children being kicked out of preschool. Yep, thats right, pre-school. Parents are up in arms because their "active" children are being denied education because of their "wild imaginations and personality". No...you're kid is wreaking havoc and the poor teachers, that actually have to put up with your kid all day, are not allowed to dicipline your children, other than maybe time-out. So in order for the other kids who can behave themselves to learn, they have to weed out the monsters. Pre-school is not a baby sitting service, nor is it required. Its meant to ready children for kindergarten. The teachers do not serve as serrogate parents, they've got enough on their plates. The parents argue that all children hit and bite at age three, its how they express themselves, it doesn't make them holy terrors. Well, yeah thats true, kids do do that at that age, but you don't have to let them get away with it all the time. They also mess their pants, are you not going to potty train them, because that's how they are at that age?
4 comments:
I concur.
I also thought it interesting that the one mom thought it was unfair that her 3 year old child was asked to sit still for 20 minutes. If she put him there to prepare him for school did she expect anything different?
I actually agree with her that it is probably too much to ask those things of a 3 year old, but it is up to the parent to discipline so what are the teachers supposed to do? (Imagine the controversy if any of those teachers tried to discipline with anything more than a "naughty chair"?) I just don't think it works to put 20 little kids together and not expect behavior problems to get worse so if you start with a kid whose out of control, watch out!
Yes. Let them poo their pants.
When I bit my brother repeatedly at age 3, my parents finally said "okay, bite her back, but don't leave a mark." Guess what? I don't bite him anymore.
Stupid parents these days.
ha ha! im so glad you don't bite your parents anymore mandy! See your parents bit you, and you came out ok!
Post a Comment