7.24.2008

rediscovering faith in humanity

I have not yet found a job here since we've moved. To be honest, I haven't worked all that hard to find one. Its not due to laziness, I'd like to find work, to earn money of course, but to keep busy also. Just, the last job I had was aweful and I lost a lot of faith I had in the architectural world and in humanity. So, after getting away from that, I thought I'd take a little time to build that faith back up, and what better way than to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Other than the Humane society, I think Habitat is one of my favorite organizations. I admire how its a non-profit, fully volunteer run organization, so the people there want to serve. That's so different from some architects I've worked with, where its all about gaining credit for yourself. Absolutely anyone can help, even if you don't know a hammer from a truck, they'll happily help you out. Also a rare find in architecture, where if you make a mistake you're called retarted and berated in front of everyone. My favorite thing about it, is that in involves the candiates that apply for housing by requireing what they call "sweat equity" in which the soon to be owners must clock hours building their home. The volunteers get a chance to interact with them, which is awesome, but they get to help build their home! Its long, hot and hard work, but so worth it! If you've never helped, do it! Not only are you helping others out, but you get to see how a house goes together, which is pretty stinkin' cool!

2 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I'm sorry the job thing was so bad, but it sounds like you are doing a great job of looking at the glass as being half full.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Habitat is a great organization, and aside from keeping you busy, it gives you a chance to give back and to build your character. I'm proud of you!