4.02.2009

Cake really does make everything better

In previous posts I've been quite negative towards our move to Florida. The biggest problems were in finding friends and a job, and feeling like I have purpose. I know that being military now, we'll have to get used to people and jobs coming and going frequently but it's still hard. However, things are getting so much better! I was never able to get back in touch with the potential job offers I received, so I'm still working at the cake shop, and I couldn't be happier! I love that I don't sit at a desk all day long, and that I get to have a creative outlet! I love learning new techniques and methods! I love that I'm treated as an equal, not as just a dishwasher or gofer, but am allowed to get completely involved in the process. I love that things I learned in college still can be applied to this too! There is a cake coming up that the client wants the Chicago skyline on it, so my drawing techniques are being used. I also got to design another cake all by myself! Its for a cake for one of the ladies husbands work, and they don't care what it looks like, but either way, I get to design it. I'll try to scan in my plan soon, and take a picture when it's done (which should be Monday.) I love waking up in the morning with purpose and feel like I'm using my gifts. Money is still really tight there, so I'm still not paid. However it's still experience that I can use later in life and put on a resume and fill my portfolio with professional cakes instead of just Wilton cakes. Of course we may be moving in a few months, or we could stay for another year or so, but at least I've had this opportunity. God answers prayer in His own perfect time. It's been frustrating, wondering if His answer was no. While at the same time feeling guilty for praying for this when there is so much other heartbreak in the world. However it's another lesson for me that God cares about every thing in our lives, from things we think are insignificant and silly to the big stuff in our lives.

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

I'm glad it all worked out. And not just because that means more picture of cool looking cakes.