4.20.2009

MSM

I came across a recipe in Real Simple for chickpea patties that sounded really delicious. So, I tabbed it and on my next shopping trip looked and looked for chickpeas/garbanzo beans canned with no avail. I have now found dry ones and plan to try out the recipe hopefully sometime this week. However, that's not what I'm sharing with you. I don't mean to be a tease, but I don't want to share a recipe I haven't tried. While looking up the recipe I came across another article, which is what I want to share with you today. I just like to share the back story, you know, so you feel like you're here with me. Anyhow this article discussed new uses for appliances you don't use. It caught my attention because it had an ice-cream maker. I know Kenzie uses hers fairly regularly, but here are some more ideas of how to use it!

Ice Cream Maker
  • Make Cola slushies. Set up the machine according to the manufacturer's directions. Pour in one 12-ounce can of cola and start the machine. When a thick slush has formed (after 10 to 15 minutes), scoop it into two glasses and serve.
  • Make margaritas. Pour all the ingredients except the alcohol into the ice cream maker. When the liquid has frozen, add the tequila and triple sec.
  • Make frozen hot chocolate. Prepare instant hot chocolate according to the package directions, then pour it into the machine and freeze for about 20 minutes.
Rice Maker (I don't have one of these, but who am I to deny you these ideas?)
  • Steam towels to offer guests before dinner. (Or, for a quick moisturizing treatment, slather your hands with lotion, then wrap them in the steamed towels until cool.) Wet and wring out several small washcloths. Fold in thirds horizontally, then roll and place inside the steamer. Steam for 5 minutes (or until hot). Remove with tongs, and place on a tray or a plate.
  • Make hot cereal. It takes twice as long, but the cereal is smoother and creamier than the stovetop version. And the no-stirring method frees you to attend to other things in the morning―like simultaneously packing lunches, reading the newspaper, and feeding the dog (or cat for you Limesands).
Waffle Iron (which I actually do use quite a bit for its purpose, but I want to try these now!)
  • Make grilled cheese. Bob Blumer, author of Surreal Gourmet Bites, says, "the dimples double the amount of surface, so the sandwich has a much more satisfying crunch." The iron also divides it into four sections―great for toddlers or snacking adults. Butter two slices of multigrain bread on one side with 1 teaspoon butter (or coat the iron with vegetable cooking spray). Place 1 slice of cheese in the center of the iron, buttered-side down. Top with another slice of cheese cheese and 1 slice of tomato, if using, and cover with the remaining slice of bread, buttered-side up. Close the lid firmly and cook until golden, 2 to 4 minutes.
  • Make a calzone. Roll out two rounds of pizza dough. Place one on the hot iron, top it with whatever you like, then add the second round of dough. Close the lid firmly and cook until the dough is golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve with a bowl of pasta sauce for dipping.
Microwaves (ok, ok, I know we all use this fairly regularly, but I thought I'd throw these ideas in here too)
  • Getting More Juice from Citrus Fruits A lemon or lime taken straight from the refrigerator is harder to juice than one left at room temperature or warmed slightly. To get the most juice, microwave citrus fruits for 20 seconds before squeezing.
  • Proofing Yeast Doughs Yeast doughs that normally take an hour or more to rise at room temperature can be proofed in the microwave in about 15 minutes. Place the dough in a very large bowl and cover with plastic. Place an 8-ounce cup of water in the back of the microwave with the bowl of dough in the center, and set the power as low as possible (10 percent power). Heat for 3 minutes, then let the dough rest in the microwave for 3 minutes. Heat for 3 minutes longer, then let rest for 6 minutes. The dough will double in bulk.

  • Decrystallizing Honey Honey that has solidified can be brought back to liquid life by uncovering the jar and heating on medium power for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  • Disinfecting and Deodorizing Sponges Don't throw out the kitchen sponge that smells like last night's salmon. Soak it in water spiked with white vinegar or lemon juice, then heat it on high for 1 minute. (Use an oven mitt to remove it.) This will also disinfect any sponges you used to wipe up the juices from a raw chicken.
So go forth my PDR readers and make the most of your appliances today!

4 comments:

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Oooo lots of good ideas!! I especially like the sponge one and the calzone one! And I do have a ricemaker, so I'll have to try out the hot cereal thing.

MacKenzie said...

It's true. I love my ice cream maker. And I am not excited to try cola slushies this summer. I used to get them at Burger king all the time.

I too have a rice maker. I've thought about making cream of wheat in it, but wasn't sure it would work. I think I will give it a try now.

Anonymous said...

Ok I was really holding myself back on getting an ice cream maker (its like sodas - if it's not in the house I'm not tempted). But slushies!? Seriously genious! Not only cola slushies but fruit juice ones too! Must have ice cream maker.... Oh and I also use my dishwasher to sanitize sponges. Just throw it in with the dishes.

Anonymous said...

I promise I really can spell...