5.30.2011

Memorial Day MSM

There are so many baby products floating out in the world that it's ridiculous.  I'm sure you don't actually need 80% of it, but it can be kind of hard to decipher what you do and don't need.  Most of the toys out there...you probably don't really need, but you do need some.  I've seen these tag blankets and balls around and had no idea what they were about until fairly recently.  Apparently, not only are they soft and snuggly, but the ribbon tags are interesting for little fingers and mouths to explore.  Well, that's all fine and good, but then I saw these.  Since Brandon will be deployed through the first 5 or so months of Evelyn's life, I wanted her to be able to see his face and be as familiar with it as a 5 month old can be for when he comes home, and loved this idea!  So, I followed this tutorial to create my own custom taggy blanket.

I used Snapfish.com to print a photo of Brandon on a super soft t-shirt.  The print came out a little red, but it'll work.  I went with that option over an iron on, so that it'll hopefully last longer through multiple washes.

I found some discounted nautical flannel fabric, and coordinating ribbons of different textures and widths.  I also didn't bother working too hard to make sure the ribbons were all the same length or sewn straight up and down for two reasons.  One, I'm 8 months pregnant and just don't care.  two, I thought it would make the tags just that much more interesting.


As the tutorial suggests, I double stitched those ribbons in this bad boy, so that they won't pull out and so it won't lose shape in the wash.   For extra good measure, I sewed along the boarder between the picture fabric and the flannel, so that wouldn't pull apart either. 
 

*I do realize that Memorial day is not really for honoring those currently serving, but to remember those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to ensure our freedom.  For their gift to us, I am forever grateful!

3 comments:

MacKenzie said...

Oh my goodness, that is awesome!

Katie said...

Haha, I thought it was a cake before I read the text! But this is a great idea, and will be a nice way for you two to cuddle up with Daddy even when he's far away :)

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

That's awesome!!!