6 months out and I'm back in school. Well, sort of. I'm taking a cake decorating class at a local craft store. Tuition is far less expensive at a whopping $7 a course (plus tools and such). My mom took these classes when I was small, and I always thought it was really cool. The icing is disgusting, but the cakes look cool! Since I majored in architecture in college and spent days working on little models, I thought that cake decorating might be a more fun outlet for that (and tastier...some kids ate paste as kids I guess, but superglue isn't such a good idea). Right now, I am halfway through course one and its looking fairly promising that I'll take course two. (There are 4 in total) The first week was just basic how to make the icing, ice the cake and what tools we'll need. This week, we finally got to get down and dirty with our cakes! I do mean dirty, because the icing gets everywhere, and its not easy to get off of skin. Anyhow, we learned the basic icing technique to decorate a cake, and we could choose any really easy pattern, so I chose a sail boat. We were running really short on class time, and I didn't have enough icing bags, so i only used two colors unfortunately. I think it came out well though. Below is the finished product of my first class led decorated cake. (as gross as the icing is, it works far better than the unfortunate icing on my blue angel cake)

5 comments:
Nice work!! You may be motivating me to take a cake decorating class... hmm...
I think Eric is doing cake decorating, too. You guys can exchange ideas. Also, I bet cake decorating sends less people to the hospital than architecture projects.
...true you can't cut yourself with an icing bag, which is nice for me!
Very cute. I used to love making fun cakes for my family when I was a teen but have gotten out of the habit. Maybe I will try and find a class when we move.
They offer them at hobby lobby and michaels (CS has both :))
Post a Comment