5.17.2008
beep beep
Well, the newlyweds are looking to buy our first motor vehicle. For some reason, this event seems so exciting, so grown up. I mean, you do the research, you pick out the cars you want to try, you try them out, the perfect one sits there waiting for you, they hand it to you for next to nothing, and you go driving off into the sunset. Ok, the first part was in my fantasy, the rest wasn't really. I'm a big fat liar. We've decided to narrow our search to the civic and the corolla. Both reliable, sensible cars, great gas mileage yadda yadda. Well, we went to test drive today, which makes me really nervous to drive a newish (by new, I mean new to me, they were used) car especially with some stranger that has a family back home in tow. We tried a Nissan dealership first because their website said they had both a civic and corolla, used. well they lied. They sold the civic yesterday. So I drove the corolla, and then we went to find out what they'd be asking for it. Why didn't they have the price on the car you ask? (or if you're not, you'll ask now because im answering anyway) "its too complicated to put all those different prices on the cars." what? From what I understand, you take the chalk, you draw on the windshield and badda boom there ya go. I suppose you have to hope it doesn't rain soon after you do that too. But anyhow, he was a dork. So then we hunted down a civic, and the guy let us test drive all by ourselves...which doesn't seem like a good idea. I'd hate to be a car salesmen though and have to drive with who know what kind of yahoo that feels like buying a car. Imagine having to sit in the passenger seat of a suped out bmw suv that daddy is buying his 16 year old whiney daughter....yikes! However, I digress. Cars are a lot more expensive than I thought. I thought going used would be great, because they'd be significantly cheaper than new. No, not really. However, it doesn't make much sense for us to shell out the few extra 1000 for a new car, since the price depreciates as soon as you leave the lot. Its so confusing. However, I do know that I do not want to buy from the nissan place. So there is something, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I wholeheartedly praise your car-buying plans. Late-model used Honda or Toyota is the way to go, and that's probably what we'll do when car-buying time arrives for us. They are reliable and get good mileage. I think you're making a good financial move. You reasoning about avoiding a new car is spot-on.
Post a Comment