5.27.2008

weee!kends

As I posted on friday, this was a three day weekend (just in case you missed it.) Of course, since we're moving in 3 weeks, I'm currently jobless so therefore everyday is a weekend. Its not as fun as it sounds, trust me. Anyhow, this weekend we went to San Antonio to visit our families at least one more time before we move. We also had the opportunity to look at cars in a real city, which was interesting. There is one dealership that has "one simple price" and they just put the price on the sticker and thats what you pay. Its pretty fairly priced too, I might add. Whats even better, the salesmen aren't paid on commission, so they're not annoying. However, one thing I didn't like about it was that they charged more for the pretty colors. Now, I realize that the color is not the most important aspect, but I do have a design background, I like things to be pretty. I already should get some points since we've picked the car based on safty/reliabilty/cost efficiency so why not get to have a color?

Then we went to a Toyota dealership, and if I thought extra dough for color was outrageous, those Toyota people tacked on $1800 in extras (like XM radio) on the car, and you don't have much option not to get it without! I don't want all that stuff! If I wanted to spend $20,000 on a car, I wouldn't be looking at a Corolla! Their salesmen were working on commission unfortunately, and he didn't really know what to do with himself when I said color didn't matter, I'm looking for a good deal. (Which I couldn't find there) So he kept trying to tap into emotion, and asked if we had kids...um non of your bees wax buster! I politely said no though. No to having kids and no, I'm not buying from you!

Then we went to see Indiana Jones, which was a film of mixed emotions. I won't ruin anything for you. We all know its hard to believe a 900 year old man doing stunts of a 30 year old man. I thought they did a pretty good job though, it was entertaining, not at all believable, but entertaining. The ending....uh...is different, and non-traditional to say the least. I don't think it contends with the originals, but I'm definitally not sorry I saw it!

2 comments:

Craig said...

I don't like the idea of "one simple price." Negotiating benefits the buyer, and if they take away your ability to do that, they make you pay more.

Did the guy at the second dealership ask what color you wanted because you're a girl?

Amanda said...

Well, the "one simple price" is about 1000 under the msrp, and I don't think I've got master skills to talk them down further, to significantly save more money. I do think he was trying to tap into my emotions as a girl by asking about what color I wanted, and repeatedly telling me that there were more colors in the back. (We looked, and the majority of them were manuel transmission though, so thats not all too helpful)