5.04.2008

being a good Texan

Well, we don't have our orders yet, but we do know that we'll soon be moving to Florida, and living outside of the grand state of Texas. We were both born and raised here, and have never lived outside of the hallowed state line, but thats all soon to change. So, in liu of such events, husband and I decided to take advantage of the our location and visit some Texasy places. (we used to live in San Antonio, so the alamo was not visited for the 2302934930th time) On Friday, we moseied on down to the bluebell icecream factory. Why its taken so long, I don't know, but we finally went and learned the tradition behind the famous Texas icecream...and got a delicious free sample! We stopped for lunch at a shady greasy spoon type joint, and that was a big mistake. You know you shouldn't eat the food when the flies actually follow the cook around, but it became really obvious that it shouldn't be eaten, when the bun quickly morfed into a normal fluffy bready substance to completely saturated in butter/grease/mayo/whatever else, Im not sure I want to know. I'm just glad I didn't order it with cheese, their 75 cent cheese. So about 4 bites too many into the sandwich, we left that heinous place along with our appitites and headed home. Then, on Saturday, we went to Washington on the Brazos to see the fake building where our declaration of independace from Mexico was signed and to visit a working farm. Now, that just seems kind of funny. I think a lot of people preconcieve Texas as a big farm, or desert. However, I've never really actually been on a farm. Ranch, yes, farm, no. Now, after 22 years, I have. This farm belonged to the last president of Texas (before it became a state) and I can't remember his name. (I learned a lot, it just didn't all stick) The farm had baby piglets, which really made the trip worthwhile!

Perhaps the biggest event of all, was that we went to the busy grocery store (the one that scares me the most) and not only bought meat (ok, its prepackaged preseasoned fajita meat) we also remembered it, and got $12 worth of stuff for free!! yay for breakthroughs!

No comments: