3.18.2009

isn't it ironic?

Don't you think? Why yes, Alanis, I do. What's ironic my beautiful blog reader? Life. Can I be more specific? Yes I can. Can I stop asking questions and just get the the point? Also yes. You know how I've been complaining about the lack of jobs and how frustrated I am and how woe is me? Well I finally got an amazing opportunity as an unpaid intern at a cake shop. So, I'm doing what I love, but not contributing to the checking account. Here comes the lovely irony. Within the past week, I've received two (count 'em two) separate calls from two separate people, wanting to talk to me about job offers. Yeah. I haven't found out what type of jobs they are yet, because I'm playing phone tag, but still. So now I have to figure out if I want to leave what I love to chase after money. Well, I know that I don't and I know Brandon wants me to be happy, but I feel badly about not getting paid. A couple starting out can use all the money we can get. I could save up and finally get a washer/dryer...or a new couch, or even contribute to savings! For six stinkin' months, nothing. Nada. Zip, zilch and nill. Now, all the sudden, I'm getting offers. Why? I'm glad God is answering my prayers, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I thought He was done answering with the cake shop. What do I do now?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Even if the timing's not the best, it's always nice to start receiving job offers =)

My sisterly advice - try to do both. Now is the time to try to bring some income into the family (before the pitter patter of little feet come along, and keep in mind, those feet are ridiculously expensive!), but that doesn't mean that you have to give up what you enjoy. Sure, you won't be able to do it on the 8-5 shift, but maybe you can work a deal with the bakery that you can work from home, like making icing flowers and delivering them the next day. Or maybe you can find a way to work weekends. Or just do it on your own, continuing to take night classes and enter in competitions.

Or, if it comes down to it, find a way to make money doing the cake thing. Either ask your group if they can hire you (explaining your situation), or ask if they can recommend you to a bakery that is hiring.

Living your dream doesn't mean not making money - think of actors that wait tables while working for their big break. But making money doesn't mean that you have to give up something that you're obviously talented in.

Hope that helps =)

Anonymous said...

I have come to learn that job offers come in floods. Suddenly everyone wants you at one time. Ironic indeed! Congratulations!

MacKenzie said...

Same thing happened to me. I finally got settled as a secretary and learned to like it even though the pay was barely anything - then I got a new job offer for a nice paying job that I wasn't sure I would like. It turned out that I did but I was all worked up for a while. Hope it works out, no matter what you decide.