3.02.2009

MSM

This week on Make Something Monday we're going back to recipes! However, this week has a wee bit of a twist, making the most out of one pound of ground beef! (you're glad you got up this morning and opened this blog now aren't you?...) We have a slight problem in our house, that a certain person, who will remain nameless, doesn't like leftovers much. Granted he doesn't cook, so he eats what I give him, but it's easier when it's something fresh. The problem is, most recipes feed a family of 4 or more, which we don't have. After eating the same meal for 3 days, you begin to wonder if it'll ever end! This week, we're going to try to end the monotonous meal dilemma and make two meals with our one pound of ground beef! The first recipe is one of Brandon's favorites, especially since we can't find good Mexican food here. I think all of my readers live in Texas, and don't have that problem, but this way you don't have to eat out.

Enchiladas (if you've never made them, they sound harder than they are, don't be scared!)
1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 c. chopped onions (which I never use, because we don't like onions, but who am I to deny you of them?)
2 T chopped green chilies
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/4 c. sliced ripe olives (also don't make in into the Elms pot)
8 corn tortillas (you can use flour if that's what you have)
2 C. shredded cheese
1 can enchilada sauce

toppings (in the recipe, you can do what you will, we just eat them naked)
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 head lettuce, shredded

Pre-heat oven to 350. In a large skillet brown the hamburger, onions (yuck) and chilies until hamburger is cooked and nasty onions are transparent. Stir in tomato sauce, disgusting olives and 1 C. of the cheese. Place a spoonful (not like a tea spoon, like a bigger stirring spoon or soup spoon) of the meat mixture in the center of the tortilla, roll up and place in greased baking dish, seam side down. (the tortillas can be kind of brittle, don't worry if they break apart in the dish, it's ok!) Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. Bake for 20-25 min or until cheese bubbles and melts. Serve on a bed of lettuce topped with sour cream if you want, or eat them nudist style like we do. You can switch things up and use diced chicken and tomatillo sauce instead of enchilada sauce to make enchiladas verdes if you'd like, but that's besides the point of the day.

Now, you've got 1/2 a pound of hamburger left, you don't have a spoiled dog and you're thinking "great Amanda, way to waste some meat!" Now now, hold on! You can of course double the enchilada recipe (which I normally do, because Brandon will eat around 4 enchiladas per sitting) Or you can make a number of other things to mix things up during the week. One option is to make some hamburgers. Granted, you can only make a couple, so don't invite friends over, but if you're cooking for two it's awesome! Or, if you've got friends, you could make this...

Speedy Spaghetti
1 small onion chopped (you know my opinion of this)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 T cooking oil (or just spray the pan with non stick cooking spray, I have olive oil flavored)
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
dash of red pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce (we don't own this..so I don't use it)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 can cream of tomato soup
1/2 can cream of mushroom soup (I don't like mushrooms much, picky I know, so I just use the full can of tomato soup)
1 4oz can of mushrooms, drained (again..ew)
4 oz dry spaghetti noodles
grated cheese

brown garlic and onion powder in hot oil. (I just spray with pam...) Add ground beef and cook until done. Spoon off excess fat. Add seasonings, soups and 'shrooms and simmer, covered for 20-30 min. Cook noodles in boiling water, drain and rinse in hot water. Arrange on plates, spoon sauce over noodles (in case you don't know how spaghetti works) and top with desired grated cheese!

Now, you've made the most out of your ground beef. There are also nacho recipes, tamale pie, or meatballs with potatoes that only use 1/2 a pound of ground beef, so you can mix it up! I got these recipes from a book my dad got me called "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?" that has wonderful recipes, laundry tips and tricks that your mom knows. I highly recommend it, if you're looking for such a book. (there's also "Where's Dad Now That I Need Him?" that has budget ideas, how to fix things and stuff like that, also very handy!)

3 comments:

Ladybug Chats said...

Amanda,

I adore your blog. After playing on facebook one day, I noticed that you had one and I have been hooked on it since. I am a subscriber... and I felt kind of voyeuristic not telling you (lol!).

Your cake was amazing and seems like something far beyond what two classes turn you in to. I can bet that you get a kick of out Ace of Cakes on the food network... I know I do. They'd better watch out, you may steal their show!

Speaking of your mexican recipes today... I totally appreciate them b/c I am not in Texas any more (tear), I am in grad school in Mississippi and they have absolutely NO good mexican food, which is indeed, my fave.

So, moral of this comment... to tell you how much I enjoy your blog and cake pictures and MSM. Also, that I never hear or say the word "ostrich" without thinking of you! I don't really remember the context of the joke anymore, but that it was our thing.

Hope everything else is well!

-Kari Leavell

Amanda said...

Thanks Kari! I am so excited to hear from you! I live in Florida now, so depending on where you are in Mississippi, we may not be too far away! Craig (the ostrich boy) has a blog also with MacKenzie that I have linked on the site (banter of a blonde republican couple) If you want to check them out as well :)

Craig said...

What the heck is this ostrich thing? Are you making fun of me?