10.13.2008
fireproof
The minister at the church Brandon and I go to here has been giving a series of sermon based on a new movie out in select theaters called 'fireproof.' The movie is about a couple struggling with their marriage and contemplating divorce. I think its produced by a church and stars Kirk Cameron, so its really interesting to finally see a movie dealing with this difficult subject from a Christan perpsective. If you're married or thinking about ever being married and its playing where you are, I strongly urge you see it! Its really a very well made movie (for a Church produced movie, its not going to win any oscars...even though a lot of movies that do win oscars (there will be blood) are terrible) and really thought provoking! (Its got some great humor in it and no sex or language!!) The sermons over the past month have been invaluble for married couples and have really made me reevaluate my attitude and what kind of wife I want to be. The movie has a really great quote (i'll have to paraphrase) "When you get married you'll vow for better or worse, but most people just mean the 'for better' part" which is so sad, but so true. We haven't even been married a year yet, so I can't say we've been through much "worse" yet, but having the foundation will help in the future, when we do go through tough times. The film really touches on feelings and experiences that couples go through (even if not specifically, you can relate) Fireproof has been doing pretty well here, but I don't know how much longer it'll be out in theaters, so go while you can! If you can't go now, rent it when it comes out! I promise it'll effect you in some way or another. Even I cried (not at the end when I think you're supposed to, but I did cry just the same, my sister will be happy to know)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have been wanting to see this. Unfortunately, Craig's swearing has really decreased and I am making not any progress towards a full swear jar, but I bet I could get him to cave anyway.
Its really worth it! I know movies are kind of pricey, but you can probably get a student discount!
Yeah, the "for better or worse" thing is so true. Yesterday I listened to a discussion about what they're calling "quarter-life crisis" on the radio. People who married young were complaining that they had missed out on life, and were seeking divorces between 25-30. One young woman called in saying she had married at 17 (her husband was 19), and they had two children, one with bipolar disorder and the other with Asberger's. Despite the fact that her husband supported her in every way that he could (including having a good job at Halliburton, and he and his parents have provided her with TWO houses and met all of her needs), and the fact that he has done NOTHING wrong, she's looking to get out because she missed the experience of having her own apartment and living on her own.
It made me really sad. She said that her husband had no idea that anything was wrong, and that they had just "grown apart." My thought was, "well, if you aren't talking to him and working to grow with him, of COURSE you're going to grow apart!" And I was sad that she didn't know how to find the joy that comes from working through a difficult time with her husband. And sad that her attitude is shared by a large number of people.
But I'm glad that there's a movement to change that. And I'm glad that the "quarter life crisis" doesn't apply to everyone -I think everyone who contributes to this blog seems to have a pretty mature understanding of what marriage is, as you all seem to be in happy and healthy relationships (that I enjoy reading about in the event that I ever grow up enough to decide to get married! =P)
I'll have to see that.
Post a Comment