10.12.2008

just call me franklin

When I was growing up I had a book titled "oh what a mess!" It was about a family of pigs (surprise surprise) that lived in...well...a sty. (they're pigs, of course) Anyhow, one day the one son (franklin) paints a beautiful picture of a rainbow. His parents are so impressed, they hang it up on the wall (I don't think pigs have refrigerators, but you get the point) Well, the wall is filthy and covered in grime, not doing the painting any justice. So, the parents decide that they should clean up the walls for this sake of this amazing picture. Under all this filth is surprisingly beautiful wall paper they had forgotten about. So the walls are clean and fresh and sparkly and they take another survey of the house, and notice how shameful it is, so they clean the rest of the house and then themselves. In the end (I hope I'm not spoiling this for everyone) the house is clean, Franklin is proud (he can finally have friends over w/o being embarrased) and his family are reformed into neatniks. All is well. So I'm sure by now you're wondering "well Amanda, how are you Franklin?" If you're not, you should be. I painted a picture of some trees and hung them up on the wall in the living room to add some color. Well, after surveying this brightness on the walls I noticed that my grandmaesque pillows were dark and unpleasent, so, I've spruced them up too. The one had really itchy fabric on it, and was completely unpleasant to use. I was trying to fix a shirt I had (Its hem was far too long) but I ruined it. Its ok though, it only cost $4 and it didnt' look that good anyway. I just liked the fabric. So, I sewed a panel on a pre-existing pillow and then made a black strip and made a little bow and badda-boom brand new pillow for about a buck. (I had to buy some edging)
So, I make this pillow and am rather pleased with myself when I discover, that I should bring out some red into the room. Well, while buying the edging, I spot some fabric on sale. (Thanks Columbus for stealing the thunder of discovering America/India and for sales) They have a nice red one, so I bought some fabric for around $3. So, I ordered some more of the edging, got some pillow fluff and buttons and there's another pillow, costing about $6. Yay!

Had I had a sewing machine, I may have never screwed up my shirt and had been inspired to recycle (Yes, Im a conservative and I love my environment) old clothing and an ugly pillow and make something a little more fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUTE!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!!! Nice work, Amanda!!